Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:30:13 -0400
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Tilman Linneweh <tilman@arved.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Port Mgr <portmgr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/audio/xmms-kde Makefile distinfo pkg-plist

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:45:51PM +0200, Tilman Linneweh wrote:
>* AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net> [Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:09:05 -0400]:
>
>> >Since this was my PR, I'd like to ask what you want say about libmikmod.
>> >The libmikmod dependency is deriving from the xmms-dependency, so I
>> >can't see the problem with this port. Please clarify.
>>
>> xmms doesn't *have* a dependency on libmikmod; in fact, nothing on my
>> system does, yet xmms-kde ends up with one.
>
>Hm..I think I understand. You had defined WITHOUT_MIKMOD somewhere at
>xmms buildtime?
>
>>From xmms Makefile:
>.if !defined(WITHOUT_MIKMOD)
>LIB_DEPENDS+=   mikmod.2:${PORTSDIR}/audio/libmikmod
>INPUT_PLUGINS+= mikmod
>PLIST_SUB+=     MIKMODPLUGIN:=""
>.else
>CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-mikmod
>PLIST_SUB+=     MIKMODPLUGIN:="@comment "
>.endif
>
>And while installing xmms-kde, WITHOUT_MIKMOD was not defined?
>Or do you suspect a general problem with registering optional dependencies?

No, -DWITHOUT_MIKMOD is defined for all audio/* ports in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. There is a general problem. If it had not
been defined during install, then the install would have forced it to be
installed as a dependency, and that is not the case.

Since pkgdb -F would have caught *any* port with a dependency on it
(since it is not there), and xmms-kde was the only one, I have not
analyzed the problem any further, but I have two pieces of software,
unrelated, that exhibit false dependencies. I have not checked whether
the dependencies are in the build packages as well ... just a minute ...
yes, the package of xmms has a dependency of libmikmod-esound, even
though the installed port from which the package was made does not.

I think I've found a nasty bug. Possibly in ports/Mk/*, possibly in
pkg_create. I must investigate further. Eeewwwww.

Cc: to portmgr. Whatever this is, it is NOT nice.

--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.