Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:59:27 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Marko Lerota <mlerota@iskon.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:43:25PM +0100, Marko Lerota wrote:
>time from ports because there are only small portion of precompiled=20
>packages.

There should be a fairly complete set of packages for 7.0-RELEASE.
There can never be a totally complete set of packages for legal
reasons - the licenses on some ports do not permit them to be packaged.

>This thing should be solved.

Please offer some suggestions on how you would resolve the problem.

>And If I upgrade the OS I dont want to recompile ports for that.

You don't have to upgrade ports immediately.  It's just that you can't
upgrade any single port without re-building everything - for reasons
that have been spelled out elsewhere in this thread.

FWIW, the move to versioned symbols should (in theory) remove the
need to need to do a future complete recompile once you've rebuilt
all your ports against 7.x.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu