Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:05:47 +0100
From:      Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade problem after upgrading to 9.1-(PRE)RELEASE
References:  <CAFYkXj=KeM_tdJyPd_KAPg6D6eTgG5UVdraOfPu_Rc1gCDdTYw@mail.gmail.com> <20121219165047.GA56414@anubis.morrow.me.uk> <CAFYkXjmV1_3JoiUD1Z4bJpMca9W5jHDbWzXNwpbn=nYSSmtKcw@mail.gmail.com> <1355957827076-5770897.post@n5.nabble.com> <CAFYkXj=ny7QsAqZ%2BmtBWotDR2=0BYT7jhzf9P3uBoC-biN5hfA@mail.gmail.com> <50D3050B.6080204@ose.nl> <CAFYkXjnoZVFb4Q2-k60pUmSp7X8DFpQbP86mn9eTuC-N--BwGw@mail.gmail.com>

On 12/20/12 13:40, CeDeROM wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl> wrote:
>> I use poudriere to build packages for 9.1-RELEASE i386 and make them
>> available on
>> http://dd.ose.nl/91i386-default
> Thank you Bas :-) I am using AMD64 :-) Anyway I was wondering if
> freebsd-stable repository works as a binary store for a current port
> tree (or its up to date snapshot).
>
> It would be great to have debian's "apt-get" functionality in FreeBSD :-)

I think pkg is as good as apt-get or even better

The main difference in FreeBSD is that you have the base system which
you can binary update/upgrade with freebsd-update or via source
preferably with svn.

Then you have the ports or third party applications which you can binary
upgrade with the old way pkg_tools (replace tools with add, delete etc)
or the new generation pkg tools. They can also be kept up to date via
source with the make tools or you can use portmaster, portupgrade and
friends for keeping them up to date via source and/or binary packages.

> I also was wondering why on RC portupgrade was working fine, while on
> a release it failed. I know there are no packages yet and no release,
> but it should fall back into the repository it was using for RC,
> shouldn't it? :-)

I can't tell you.
I don't know what the current pkg repositories for the new generation
pkg tools (or the older pkg_tools) are, thus I build them for myself
with poudriere.