Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:22:28 -0800
From:      NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Running 8 building 10 part2: ctfmerge hangs

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 11/20/14, 3:22 PM, Dieter BSD wrote:
>>
>> After thinking about this a bit, it looks like ctfmerge is broken.
>> 8.2 ctfmerge running under 8.2 kernel.  Use a bogus argument and
>> it complains. (So it *is* running before it goes into a coma.)
>> But with normal arguments it quickly falls asleep.  Thus it is broken.
>
> yes there was a period in history when ctfmerge was broken.
> there was  afix but you cou;dn;t compile it because ctfmerge had
> WITH_CTF=1 in its own build and failed :-)
>
> I forget the fix unfortunately. but it hot me some time back.
> there IS  a fix but I can't remember it

Dieter,
    The easiest (and only sane) way to resolve this is to:
    1. Boot a 10.1 livecd.
    2. Mount all of your mountpoints properly, in /mnt (but do not
chroot your install).
    3. Run the standard build process with DESTDIR=/mnt in the install
steps : https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html . Don't
reboot in-between.
    4. Reboot when done and verify that everything's ok.
    Whatever happened put your system into a funky state (my guess is
that the build process isn't scripted/doesn't catch errors if
scripted), and you're chasing down ghosts by trying to build with a
10.1 userland and 8.2 kernel.
Cheers,