Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:09:17 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Fabrizzio Batista <fabrizzio.batista@lojasobino.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SALT Algorithm in PERL

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 10:09:17AM -0200, Fabrizzio Batista wrote:

|     Hi gurus,
|
| I am using a FreeBSD box (3.3 S) in a ISP, and I need to make a
| script that change the users passwords. I am using the PERL language
| to make this, but I donīt have the SALT Algorithm.

If I recall this correctly, you can use a random pair of characters
from the [a-zA-Z0-9./] character class.  Given a routine in perl that
returns a random integer between 0..63 (i.e. one called &rand64), you
can use:

	# excuse the too long line here ;)
	$universe = "./0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ";
	$s0 = $universe[&rand64];
	$s1 = $universe{&rand64];
	$salt = "$s0$s1";

or something similar to this one, my perl is not that good, and I might
have made some silly mistake.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]