Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2016 22:07:03 -0400
From:      Thomas Skibo <ThomasSkibo@yahoo.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zynq/Zybo USB bug: ubldr "fixes" my device tree

Done and patch committed!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 9:54 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> hi!
>=20
> Cool! can you create a PR for that?
>=20
> -adrian
>=20
> On 31 July 2016 at 10:55, Thomas Skibo via freebsd-arm
> <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hello.
>>=20
>> I finally tracked down a bug that kept me from being able to use a USB dr=
ive as root on a Zybo (or Zedboard).  Mounting USB drives has worked fine be=
fore but using one as root would fail.
>>=20
>> The first megabyte of memory space on Zynq has several caveats including a=
 hole between 256K-512K that is inaccessible by bus masters.  My solution wa=
s to simply ignore the first megabyte by starting memory at 0x100000 in my D=
TS file(s).  But, I discovered that the first megabyte was being allocated a=
nd the ehci device hung trying to DMA to the hole.  It turns out that ubldr,=
 after loading the board.dtb file, proceeded to =E2=80=9Cfix up=E2=80=9D the=
 device tree from memory range information it got in a sysinfo call to u-boo=
t=E2=80=99s API.  The memory range started at 0.
>>=20
>> The simplest work-around seems to be to add a =E2=80=9Cmemreserve=E2=80=9D=
 property to the DTS.  Also, It turns out that only the first half megabyte n=
eeds to be ignored.  Patch attached.