Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:57:40 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@dobox.com>
To:        qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.5 RC2 problem with XF86 4.1.0_12

Ladies and gentlemen,
I (finally!) installed 4.5RC2 yesterday.  I installed XF86 3.3.6 during
sysinstall, only to find it did not have drivers for the VGA chipset
in my test machine, a "PC Wave" brand "book pc".  The video card is
identfied in dmesg as "Trident model 8400" by the PCI bus probe.

So I erased the /usr/X11R6 directory and installed XF86 4.1.0 from the
packages on the CD-ROM.  Attempting to run xf86cfg failed, /usr/X11R6/bin/X
was unable to run due to unresolved symbols.  I deleted the package and
built the port from source, installed, and obtained exactly the same
results.

I cvsupped ports early yesterday and built the 4.2.0 port overnight; I
am installing it now.  If you need the exact unresolved symbols error
messages I can re-install the 4.1.0 package later today, but it would
certainly bear testing.  It would be a shame to ship 4.5 with a broken
4.1.0 package, no 4.2.0 package, and only creaky old 3.3.6 that actually
works.

--
                                 Boats love me
                                 Sails fear me