Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:48:05 -0700
From:      Aaron Smith <aaron@mutex.org>
To:        BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

there has been some discussion recently, and lots of volunteering. however,
i don't think anyone has done any real work yet. i have a couple of sparcs
to use for it, and several other people have sparc boxes waiting to test
and contribute but no one has yet stepped up to lead the effort forward.

from what i can tell the hard parts are:
     - pmap/mmu issues?
     - dealing with the different bus architecture(s)

#2 is probably partially addressed by the new-bus work going on in -current
which i don't know a lot about, maybe someone else can comment. both issues
were tackled by net/openBSD for their sparcness, but there's enough
divergence to make picking up the changes non-trivial, otherwise someone
would have finished this already.  however i think having the other
sparc-capable BSDs as a reference will be helpful.

my plan was to install openBSD on one of my sparcs and use it to compile
FreeBSD code and start banging on this stuff, but i have not had enough
free time to get going on it.

aaron