Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 01:09:11 +0200 (EET)
From:      Domas Mituzas <midom@delfi.lt>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reliable shell logs

Hi there,
> And what stops the user from changing his shell? 'chsh'
> would let him change shell to csh, tcsh or whatever is
> available on the system, right? How can I prevent this?

as well as nothing prevents user from invoking perl and running shell
comands from there. or... putting his own wrapper for syscall(SYS_exec,).
Userland isn't solution. Process accounting maybe is. Or even syscall
accounting, aka auditing (TrustedBSD part?). Or the best way - do not let
users invoke any commands on your system at all. Least privillege
principle still works.

Of course, if you still wish to track your users, you should track all
communication your system does with outer world - keyboards, network bits
coming to both sides. If you have too many of bits coming to and thro,
you'd find how to filter not interesting ones. And then you'll have what
is called IDS, rather sensitive one, of course. Script kiddies can be
traced using bash logs, but not blackhats.

--
Cheers,
Domas