Date:      23 May 2004 13:53:26 -0000
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade and daemons.

* Josef Karthauser <joe@freebsd.org> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:

> A number of ports run daemons, such as postfix, which are started in
> /usr/local/tc/rc.d.  Portupgrade doesn't appear to know anything about
> these, and so it will quite happily attempt to upgrade a daemon that is
> still running.  Idealally it ought to DTRT, which I guess is some
> combination of shutdow the existing port down, upgrade it and then
> restart it.  There are some rudiments of knowledge about rc.d/ scripts
> built into the Mk subsystem so I wonder whether it's possible to hook
> into that in some way.

Why don't you use portupgrade(1)'s BEFOREDEINSTALL and AFTERINSTALL
facilities? I don't think this problem can ever be handled correctly by
the port since not everyone likes the idea that a freshly installed
daemon is being started automatically without getting a chance to
customize the configuration. "Do what I mean" is hard to implement after
all...