Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:13:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people"and"dangers to BSD"]

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:

[snip]

>As I said, I agree that as far as results go, it does not matter whether
>we lost or quit, but that difference does matter when you try to draw
>lessons from the war. Neither the VC nor the NVA beat us on the
>battlefield. If we had wanted to, we could have stayed indefinitely.

You are right, of course, and it does raise some important questions.

If there were a need for a second revolution, would current government
have more, less or equal will to win? Would troops on the ground have
more, less or equal enthusiasm for the fight. (Would the
revolutionaries have any will.) What would be the rate of defection
when the "enemy" is the same as the troops. Did we learn anything from
Vietnam upon which we could improve?

There would be a lot of wild cards in an action like this. It would be
interesting to compare the contingency plans in place at the pentagon
and justice.

-- Jay