Date:      25 Sep 2000 02:39:39 +0900
From:      CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/21504: New port: korean/tin

    >   I think chinese/tin or korean/tin you suggested is too simple for
    >   making separated ports. Just install news/tin and edit configuration
    >   file is fine for us.

    MCW> What about the people who do not know English well enough to
    MCW> spend all the time doing documentation?  True, most FreeBSD
    MCW> users are able to read English, but it may take quite an effort
    MCW> to do so.  :)

    MCW> Following your reasoning, there really is no need for any language
    MCW> ports.  After all, they are all just small patches and configurations
    MCW> for the users.  But, is that not what the Ports collection is? :-)

I am a maintainer of many language ports in korean category. I think,
some useful patches cannot be included in the master source will be
good, but changing just configuration is not acceptable.

Then, we can have separate ko-windowmaker, ja-windowmaker,
zh-windowmaker, etc... for just changing default fontset. Same thing
also applies many *-i18n ports. Do you want to do so? :)

My guideline is as follows:

 - accept meaningful patches. It can't achieved without ports,
   because patches should be applied in the _build_ stage.
 - don't accept configuration patches just changing default
   configuration.
   we can get desired results _after_ installing binary packages(or use
   ports) and editing my configuration files.

That's the difference I want to say.

    >   Or, please make slave ports just like chinese/mutt.

    MCW> I agree that slave ports are better, but sometimes patches
    MCW> just do not work with newer versions when the master port
    MCW> gets updated with newer versions.

    MCW> Sometimes, when newer versions of software convert to newer
    MCW> standards like XIM or UTF-8, they break the patches completely.

Yes. I agree. It's my preference.

But I think we would be not too late to make non-slave language ports
after the master changed dramatically.

    >   To other ports developers: Can we accept localized ports doing just
    >   "changing default configuration to local language"?

    MCW> The Ports collection has accepted that in the past.  Also,
    MCW> following your reasoning, we should not have apache-* ports,
    MCW> nor xemacs-*/mule-* ports, because they are just configurations
    MCW> varying by user. :)

Oh, these ports is different in this case because we can't get each
separated port features without _recompiling_. Can you have
apache-ipv6 after installing apache ports and editing just httpd.conf? :)

    MCW> To summarize, here are some reasons to have non-slave language ports:

    MCW> o Saves users time from reading English documentation
    MCW> o The Ports are small patches and configurations, and a language port
    MCW> follows the same reasoning.
    MCW> o Newer versions of master ports may prevent the older language patches
    MCW> of language ports from working.  Sometimes developers are not
    MCW> able to patch the software without large significant structural changes
    MCW> to the software.

Yes. But I need more strict guidelines.

--
 +++ Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my employers +++
 CHOI Junho                             <cjh@FreeBSD.org> <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>