Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 12:56:15 GMT
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.dialix.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netstat has been broken for a long time..

> From: Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.dialix.com>
> Date: Wed 15 Nov, 1995
> Subject: netstat has been broken for a long time..

> To my (not so) great suprise, I discovered netstat was accidently
> broken...   it's nlist()ing the kernel looking for "_unixsw" which was
> replaced with "_localsw" and netstat not updated.

You mean I've been typing "netstat -f inet" unnecessarily all this time?  :-(

> ....However....  Perhaps it would be an acceptable compromise to fix
> inetd so that it does not display AF_UNIX sockets unless specifically
> requested with "netstat -f unix".  Best of both worlds?

Why pick on "unix"?  No -f options means "all protocols".  If you did
restrict the default display to an arbitrary subset, you'd have to invent
a way of specifying "all protocols" again without enumerating them.

Annoying though it may be, I think the current behaviour (when fixed) is
most flexible; invent an alias for ``netstat -f inet'' if you really it:

    inetstat() { netstat -f inet ${1+"$@"}; }

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*