Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:17:21 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   gears vs. glxgears; i915 for Linux binaries?

First of all, allow me to thank you for the working DRI on my laptop with i915
chipset. Although none of my Radeon desktops work yet, this is very welcome
progress.

After installing the linux_dri port, I wanted to compare the simple (glx)gears
results between the Linux and the native binaries.

The /compat/linux/usr/X11R6/bin/gears appears to be the same beast, as the
${X11BASE]/bin/glxgears installed by the native Xorg port.

Running the Linux gears seemed VERY fast -- they were spinning like crazy but
the program reports just 1800 frames per 5 seconds -- around 380 FPS (all for
the default small window).

Running the native glxgears appeared much slower, but the reported stats were
~2.5 times higher -- around 950 FPS.

Now, the reported speed difference is, likely, due to the fact, that the
linux_dri does not (yet?) install the i915_dri.so, so no DRI is (yet?)
possible for Linux programs on my laptop. But why does it *appear* to be
faster?

Thanks!

	-mi