Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:04:33 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: documentation issues generally

Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au> types:
> > Yes. Improve them, then submit PRs with the improvements.
> Been there done that .... the docs people speak another language again !!!

Just curious - how many man page or doc project PR's did you submit
before reaching this conclusion?

In any case, if nobody writes them to meet your requirements, they
aren't going to get written. If you're not willing to write them, why
do you expect other people to do so?

> > > Has anyone ever considered the possibility that documentation
> comprehensible
> > > to regular users might cut down on the hundreds of questions posted to
> this
> > > list daily ??
> > I'm sure it would, by at least a few percent. I wouldn't expect it to
> > cut down much more than that, because that's the percentage that seems
> > to have both read the appropriate documentation and failed to
> > understand it.
> How then do you explain the growing number of sites like freebsddiary ??

Because people would rather put things on their own sites than submit
them to the FreeBSD group and have them show up there. While this may
be good for their site, it's bad for the FreeBSD community. If nothing
else, it means that users have to search multiple sites to find the
the documentation they are looking for - and may find different
directions. For another, it means that the FreeBSD team doesn't get a
chance to vet the instructions.

Personally, I *never* refer people to those sites. The ones I've
looked at don't seem to be any better written than the FAQ or the
handbook. They do provide detailed step-by-step instructions, but
but those instructions are often more complicated than needed,
sometimes wrong, and almost never include the information you need to
understand what's going on.

I *do* regularly refer people to FAQ, handbook and manual entries, and
more often than not, that is sufficient to solve their problem.

IIRC, your problems started with the man page for the filesystem dump
program, but you weren't quite clear on what a filesystem is. The man
pages are *not* the place to teach FreeBSD terminology. Neither is the
FAQ - after all, if you don't know the terminology, you can't phrase
the question. The handbook touches on it somewhat. But at this level,
you're not really dealing with needing documentation on FreeBSD, but
on Unix administration. There are a number of good books out there -
and I've heard good things about Gregs.

	<mike