Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:33:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        Steve Khoo <steve@gordian.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problem: Irix 5.2 server, 2.2-960501-SNAP client

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Steve Khoo wrote:
[SNIP]

> Thanks for the all responses and suggestions...  It looks like the
> problem is related to diskstriping on the Irix 5.2.  We've been
> playing around with diskstriping on the sgi to improve performance.  I
> truned off diskstriping and rebooted the sgi lastnight and all seems
> to be fine now.  I supposed it is possible that the sgi was somehow
> hosed and rebooting fixed it.  However, this is unlikely because nfs
> mounts to other systems were still working; I did umount and mount on
> sunos and hp machines to the sgi and worked without a problem.  I'll
> have to test it again with striping truned ON on the sgi later, just
> to double check; Since this sgi is a production unit, I can't be
> rebooting it too many times.

Just checking it on my Indigo2 - Irix 6.2 and mounted an xfs partition
with no problem.  I've seen problems with Irix and mounting other
filesystems, usually solved by -o vers=2 to force v2 instead of v3.

> Anyway, we are pretty impressed with this P6 unit so far.  We did some
> benchmarking with a realworld example(we use a gcc cross-compiler for
> embeded mips system and built one of our source tree), and here are
> the resuls:
>
> SGI		21 mins
> P6(NFS)		16 mins
> P6(local)	 7 mins

Good looking numbers!

> The source tree is on the SGI server.  P6(NFS) is the compile time for
> the P6 with the source tree mounted via NFS from the SGI.  P6(local)
> is with the source tree copied over to a local disk on P6.
>
> System specs:
>
> SGI Challenge S server (Irix 5.2)
> 150 Mhz R4600 MIPS Processor
> 160MB RAM
> Fast Wide Differential SCSI Controller
> Seagate Barracuda FWD SCSI drives: 2's and 4's
> 10BaseT NIC
Is this a PC (Primary cache only) or SC (L2 cache added)?

> P6 (FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP, kernel rebuilt without FAILSAFE option
> and all the other unnecessary drivers)
> Intel Pentium Pro 200 Mhz CPU
> 64M EDO RAM
> Asus P/I-P6RP4, Orion chipset stepping B0 motherboard
> NCR Fast Wide Differential SCSI Controller
> 4G Seagate Barracuda FWD SCSI drive
> SMC 9332DST 10/100BaseT DC2114 based NIC
> Steve E. Khoo				Gordian
> Systems Manager				20361 Irvine Ave
> Internet: steve@gordian.com		Santa Ana Heights, CA 92707
> Phone: (714)850-0205			FAX: (714)850-0533

Rob Snow
Sr. Systems Administrator
Landmark Graphics Corporation