Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:53:36 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stolen script?

> src/COPYRIGHT is pretty clear about what code it covers, if you had
> taken the time to read it before responding you would have seen my
> initial point.

I think you're suffering from simple naivete about how copyrights
work, Albert.  I don't give a flying frig what src/COPYRIGHT claims to
cover, there are more sweeping rules which cover how the process of
copyrighting works and one is forced to be very explicit in order to
conform to those rules.  src/COPYRIGHT could claim to cover all
current and derivative rights for every committer on earth and that
still wouldn't make it right.

> I think this roll over and play dead stance about the issue is
> completely wrong.  The BSD license "give credit where credit is
> do" is about as free as it can get while still forcing some
> attribution back to the authors.

I think you've completely and totally missed the point.  This has
nothing to do with rolling over, this has to do with LEGALITY and the
fact that you can't simply drop one file into a collection of files
and say "Done!" when it comes to copyrights.  What happens when one
file wanders off on its own and then is passed to a third party?  That
third party has no way of knowing where it came from originally and
thus couldn't conform to src/COPYRIGHT even if they wanted to.  That's
why you're supposed to put the notice ON THE FILE ITSELF and that
should simple enough for you to understand that this whole sorry
exchange can now hopefully come to a close.

- Jordan