Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:53:09 -0000
From:      "Frank Shearar" <frank.shearar@rnid.org.uk>
To:        <freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org>
Subject:   iPod problems getting device size

Hi,

I'm running 4.9-STABLE, and have a (Windows formatted) iPod. The iPod says
it's a v2.1. My motherboard lacks a firewire port so I got Apple's USB dock
connector. The short problem description is "the dang thing don't work". I
hope iPods can actually work on 4.9-STABLE? Here follows more useful
information:

When I plug the iPod into the dock connector, my /var/log/messages tells me:

Jan  5 21:49:02 draugr /kernel: da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
Jan  5 21:49:02 draugr /kernel: da0: <Apple iPod 1.50> Removable Direct
Access SCSI-0 device
Jan  5 21:49:02 draugr /kernel: da0: 650KB/s transfers
Jan  5 21:49:02 draugr /kernel: da0: Attempt to query device size failed:
NOT READY, Logical unit is in process of b

I've managed to track down the full error message, which is "Logical unit is
in process of becoming ready".

camcontrol sees it fine:

draugr# camcontrol devlist
<Apple iPod 1.50>                  at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

But da0 isn't being properly initialised (is this the correct term?),
presumably because the check-the-disk-size stuff fails, because fdisk tells
me this:

draugr# fdisk /dev/da0
fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da0: Device not configured

My kernel configuration contains, among other stuff:

device          scbus
device          da
device          uhci
device          ohci
device          usb
device          firewire
device          sbp
device          umass

Can someone tell me how I can solve this problem? What other information do
I need to supply? Many thanks if you can enlighten me!

frank