Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 23:08:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        proff@iq.org, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detecting devfs from userland?

> I think that having devfs creating its own device would be nice thing
> for this purpose... i.e., just stat "/dev/devfs" to check if devfs
> is running.  As an added bonus, devfs operations can be added by
> reading, writing, or ioctl'ing this device.
>
> this can work if you need to check whether devfs is running _now_,
> as opposed to knowing whether it is compiled into the kernel.

You can do the same thing by doing a stat of /dev and looking
for an st_ino of 2.

The devices themselves, especially in the new SLICE stuff that
he's done, should be self-referrential.  I'm still trying to
talk him into putting them in a hierarchy (with little success...
you SVR4 device name traditionalists can rest easy: you still get
you have your long cryptic device names for now...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.