Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:59:43 -0500
From:      "Robert Wojciechowski Jr." <robertw@wojo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Spam

Richard,

Looks like some sort of steganography.  Look at
http://ip-service.com/cgi-bin/stego.pl, which contains a web interface to
Texto, a steganography program.  I tried decoding it with Texto, but it
didn't work.   If it is a form of steganography, it could be a custom type
or encrypted with a key which would make it impossible to read it without
knowing the shared secret.

Another thing about it is that it follows a letter structure.  If it's more
than just random words, maybe both parties have a dictionary file with a
special lookup table to map say, "the" to "dodecahedron".  But I don't see
many repeating words, so maybe not.  It colud also be a stenography program
that creates the correct structure of a letter on purpose for some reason,
even though it's not intelligible text (Texto is at least contains correct
sentence structure).

The best steganography of course, is the one you never spot as containing
hidden data!

Ugh, there are a million things it *could* be... I give up already.  It's
going to be a chore finding out exactly what.  Still very intriguing, and if
you find out what it is... please do share!  ;)

Best Regards,

---
Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr.
robertw@wojo.com

> On 20-Feb-2000 22:44:07, Richard Martin writes:
> Has anyone been seeing spam like this lately?  It consists of an
> unintelligible sequence of English words.  Seems to be just strings of
> randomly generated words, but I am wondering if there is something more
> sinister going on here. Someone accidentally send us an encoded message?
>
> ***************
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.origen.com.
> I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce
bounced!

> <zubenanalgenube@origen.com>:
> Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
>
> - --- Below this line is the original bounce.

> From: postmaster@www.cause.org
> To: zubenanalgenube@origen.com
> Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:39:16 -0600
> Subject: Nondeliverable mail
>          boundary = "NTWEBgGK:EVF+?cBGmzmVxN"
>
> - --NTWEBgGK:EVF+?cBGmzmVxN
>
> - ------Transcript of session follows -------
> ww@cci.lg.ua
> 550 <ww@cci.lg.ua>... User unknown
>
> - --NTWEBgGK:EVF+?cBGmzmVxN

> To: ww@cci.lg.ua
> From: zubenanalgenube@origen.com
> Subject: RE: from WW
> Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:41:06 -0600
>

> StriderCaracas,
>
> Falsetto colonel flak devilish Miami experience Raymond polymerase emulate
> donkey summand Harold paint Daly hill acclimatize evince component seethe
> sarah1 Jewish Quixote Dowling corwin bye formant prince collusion, society
> agrimony lithography waybill Mathematik Zealand Shockley diluent Braun
> retaliate Cortez emphasis hooves we're molt franklin.
>
> Ravine graphic., auric moat.
>
> Mynah, ogle circumpolar nameplate tablespoon octopus curiosity posthumous
> optometrist stressful crossbill bitnet ablution abstract javelin,
continuum
> Bentham conflagration Lissajous choose Thomas matriculate cancel reprise.
> gratuity broad cramp, southernmost jilt, reverberate Joshua malice
homework
> hydrometer ladyfern Fourier biophysic fanfold Alcmena adamant phenolic
> snowstorm deacon swingable. imputation impel bedding hello washout, hopple
> spate doltish erupt thrips Farley, swat twiddle pipsissewa boastful
ambrosia,
> oatcake haunch porterhouse DARPA anhydrite cerebral inexhaustible feast
impede
> bombard annie cynthia contractual Nebuchadnezzar. UHF crepe Galloway
bleach
> function psyllium cap, calico porridge tempestuous nature consul
regretting
> Antioch customary halfback distribution canced Salish redound sepulchral
> kangaroo atonal begrudge factor swine climactic local Skeeter youth
Montevideo
> flash chilblain, spyglass sire Wahl loquacity Rastus waistcoat, kid
> reclamation greet wipe child. kingdom busywork stake sideshow gauzy hank
> indiscernible groupoid baud repetition majesty faint. Aubrey Galatea
> halfhearted inlay Awesome inappeasable NY uprise helmsman lakers scout
feeble
> Whatley, ontology Cochran libretto diablo chatting labia scion tarpaulin.
>
> Melee sang counterweight resident boogie bulldoze Eveready, Wilmington
tong
> whitish rockabye duchess continuant clannish Annale nutate entrepreneur
jade
> boatman, stellar, adjoin churchgo scream Clive briefcase Waco wildfire
> colonist neck concord firework expletive expel gunflint port glob lookup
> boyhood propionate biometry inability comparison arousal differ skeletal
> holography pandemonium Laplacian riverbank ringmaster euglena dulse
Cassandra
> Rockland competitor softball handgun successful, gush Cabot congener
> tripartite ghetto. Grin strabismus Krueger Caesarian., tightwad, Ankara
Peru
> bib coattail galaxy ingrown obsolescent triangular, pinniped amateurish
> adequacy. theoretician, mentor hyperbolic, sniff chip satisfactory
divalent
> physiotherapist rocky dip, superman, buttonhole, ford, guitar lactose
> rapprochement steradian Copperfield Ernst class nominee Wakefield wad
Czerniak