Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:56:50 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping a DLT4000 streaming?

In <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009031400140.90484-100000@mail.wolves.k12.mo.us>, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On 3 Sep 2000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> > If any of you guys have a DLT4000 (or faster) tape drive, and
> > manage to keep it streaming properly _with compression enabled_,
> > I'd like to know your setup.
>
> Keeping a DLT4000 streaming would be a lot harder than keeping a
> DDS2/3 drive streaming, but I keep my DDS drive streaming (with no H/W
> compression, I have to use gzip instead) by using several large 'team'
> (ports/misc/team) buffers.  I currently use five 8MB buffers.  A
> buffer only empties when it is full, so that way only 8MB streamable
> chunks make it to the drive, even if the disks can't keep all of the
> buffers full.  You might want 32MB at a time or more for a DLT drive
> that is doing its own compression.  I believe I had to modify the team
> code to get even an 8MB buffer.

I wrote ports/misc/cstream partly for this purpose.  Using -B and -c
you get buffering without size restrictions.  Some of the -c modes are
- while being well-tested - experimental, so be sure to check results
if you want to use it for backup purposes.  cstream also has data
sinks and generators for quasi-random ascii data which would be
useful to isolate the problem.  Feedback welcome, of course.

While we are at it, I'm having a different problem with my DTL.  It
writes 2.4 -3.0 MB/sec at 32kb blocksize, but it  reads only 1
MB/sec.  At smaller blocksizes I get get both reading and writing at
1.5 MB/sec.  These tests are done with without using the filesystem,
just  one userspace program.  Any idea what could make reading slower
than writing?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/