Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:55:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jordan.breeding@attbi.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Support for atapi cdrw as scsi in -current?

<<On Sat, 02 Feb 2002 20:10:20 +0000, jordan.breeding@attbi.com said:

> I noticed a patch on freebsd-scsi a while back that
> added a not very complete form of atapi as scsi support
> to the freebsd kernel.  Are there plans to complete
> this and add it to -current sometime before -current
> turns into 5.0-RELEASE?  Thanks for any information.

I've been using it somewhat actively in the past week or so in
-current.  The patch as it exists needs a few changes to fit in
current -current.

$ camcontrol devlist
<TDK CDRW241040B 57S4>             at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)
<LITEON CD-ROM LTN526D YSR5>       at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (cd1,pass1)

I don't think that ATAPICAM works well enough to use it entirely in
place of the atapi-cd driver; for example, I get the following errors:

atapicam0: READ_DISK_INFO - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x20 ascq=0x00 error=0x04
atapicam0: READ_TOC - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 error=0x04

However, it works well-enough to run cdrdao, which is what mattered to
me, for both reading and writing on both of the afore-mentioned ATAPI
devices.

-GAWollman