Date:      Fri, 19 May 1995 20:23:50 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: alias ( secondary IP ) for Ethernet Ifaces in FreeBSD

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Paul Richards wrote:

> Wait until after 2.0.5, I'm going to need this functionality for
> work (setting up a web site that supports virtual domains) and after
> playing around with it I think ifconfig needs to be changed to handle
> it a lot better. The current implementation isn't robust enough.

    What do you mean by that?  I've noticed in my testing that on
occasion, trying to connect to an alias address from a remote Lynx
client would result in a "Network error" (connection closed by peer,
or whatever Lynx calls it).  However, those appear to be related to
errors in my httpd.conf setup and not necessarily ifconfig.

    I just remembered something... a host with multiple aliases cannot
reach itself via those additional addresses.  Is this a bug?  I can
ping/telnet to any of the aliases from a different machine, but not
from the same machine to itself (via an alias).
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org