Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:39:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Michel Otte <FreeBSD-Java@scoop.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tomcat's mod_jk initialization error

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:18:29PM +0200, Michel Otte wrote:
> I'm trying to get mod_jk to work with Apache 1.3.19, but the initialization
> of the module fails with the error message
> ' Undefined symbol "map_name_at" ' when trying to start the apache server.
>
> Tomcat as standalone server or through mod_jserv works just fine. Even the
> compilation of mod_jk succeeds after mangling with the Makefile. I found a
> suggestion somewhere on the net to configure and compile Apache with
> --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE.
> So I recompiled Apache with this option and compiled mod_jk again. This
> resulted in a same-size mod_jk.so which is about 18 kilobytes big, or
> should I say small? "httpd -V" shows that Apache has been compiled with the
> SHARED_CORE option.
>
> Setup:
>
> * FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
> * Apache 1.3.19 (build from source)
> * JDK12-beta (build from the ports collection)
> * Tomcat 3.2.1 binary distribution
> * Trying to compile mod_jk from Tomcat 3.2.1-src distribution
>
> I couldn't find a clue anywhere, but I know it's possible to get this to
> work. Did I miss something stupid here?

How are you compiling mod_jk?  There was a discussion a few weeks ago on
the list about the patches needed for the Makefile to get things compiled
correctly.  I'd suggest searching the archives to compare the hacks you've
made.

I've got Tomcat working through mod_jk with pretty much the above set up
FWIW.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494