Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 08:25:02 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Signal-related kernel messages on threaded processes?

So, I'm working on a small threaded program here, and I get these:

----
Mar  9 07:39:53 mortis kernel: failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
Mar  9 07:39:53 mortis kernel: failed to set signal flags properly for ast()
Mar  9 07:42:21 mortis last message repeated 3 times
Mar  9 07:51:00 mortis last message repeated 26 times
----

I _think_ (based on times) they're related to running the programs in
gdb, though it's possible I got some when I was running it by itself.
My system is: FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Jan  8 18:46:11 CST 2003

I've tracked it down to sys/kern/subr_trap.c:87, which looks like:

----
    if (SIGPENDING(p) && ((p->p_sflag & PS_NEEDSIGCHK) == 0 ||
        (td->td_kse->ke_flags & KEF_ASTPENDING) == 0))
        printf("failed to set signal flags properly for ast()\n");
----

inside #ifdef INVARIANTS, but that starts to lose me in details of
housekeeping structs for procs/threads.  This _is_ just using libc_r, not
libkse, so the KSE tests wouldn't apply, right?

What should I be doing in the program that I'm not to avoid that message?
Or does it actually not really mean anything for my process, and is all
kernel-related?

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net