Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:45:22 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "David Gray" <david.gray@computer.org>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-3.3.3.1 port breaks

David Gray wrote:

>Basically, I can't build XFree86. The makefile breaks when it tries to
>apply the patches to the source distribution. The output from make is
>appended to this mail.
>
>I run 3.1-stable, about 2 weeks old, and have an up-to-date ports tree.

I've found that the easiest way to install/upgrade XFree86 is with the
binary distribution available from
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3.1/binaries/Free-BSD-3.0/.

See section 7 of the release notes
(ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3.1/binaries/FreeBSD-3.0/RELNOTES)
for simple step-by-step instructions and a list of the files you need to
download.

Once you have the distfiles you need, it's merely a matter of running three
script files and then the graphical setup utility:

  # md /usr/X11R6
  # cd /usr/X11R6
  # sh <your-download-dir>/preinst.sh
  # <your-download-dir>/extract <your-download-dir>/X*.tgz
  # sh <your-download-dir>postinst.sh
  # XF86Setup

To get FreeBSD's ports to recognize that you've installed X, create the
directory /var/db/pkg/XFree86-3.3.3.1

Good luck!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!