Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 19:03:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard W Donovan <rdonovan@wln.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cant Boot on AHA1542CP / Micropolis 2210

I have a Pentium 90 w/ an Intel Neptune system board (Premiere PCI II) w/
2 Western Digital hard drives on the built-in EIDE controller (1 1.2GB as
DOS C:\ and 1 1.0GB as DOS D:\), an Adaptec AHA1542CP controller (this is
the new Plug and Play one), a Plextor 6X CD-ROM drive connected to the
Adaptec (SCSI ID 6), and three external Micropolis 2210 1050MB hard
drives, set to SCSI ID's 0,1, and 2 respectively. Also, the Adaptec is on
port 334 instead of 330 so it won't conflict w/ my SB-AWE32/Roland
daughtercard combination.

My goal is to have DOS & Win95 on the two Western Digitals and FreeBSD on
one of the SCSI's. (The other 2, ID's 1 and 2, already have Linux and
SunOS 5.4 for X86 installed on them w/ no problems.). I was able to boot
up FreeBSD using the FBSDBOOT.EXE on the FreeBSD 2.0.5 Walnut Creek CD
and install the software (it did complain bitterly about the disk
geometry on the SCSI drive, but I persisted and installed anyway) with no
problems. However, now I can't boot up the system using either the OSBS
boot manager software from the CD or the boot floppy - it just locks up
after stating "Waiting for SCSI devices to settle.". What is the proper
way to install FreeBSD and then boot the OS? Thanks for your help.
-Ryan R. Donovan
 rdonovan@wln.com