Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 23:23:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com, hsu@cs.hut.fi, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mmap bugs gone yet?

> Joe Greco writes:
>  > > With the merged VM/buffer cache, i doubt it will buy too much to mmap
>  > > the files at all.
>  >
>  > This was not true on my Sun 3/60.  I never investigated to find out why,
>  > however.
>
> It would seem to be writing the history file every 10 articles if you use
> ACT_READ option.  I don't know if it writes all of it or just the modified
> parts.  You can tune innd to write less often, but it doesn't seem to help
> much.  We are in big trouble soon if the NNTP protocol isn't quickly

Does ACT_READ actually affect the history file mechanism?  My memory
suggests that the history code is always handled with a write, and the only
thing that you can affect is the dbzincore()...

I could go look at the code, I suppose....  not fun at 1200 baud, though, so
I won't.

> revised, and we probably need a fully rewritten news system in less than a
> year...

And here I thought that's what INN was.  :-)

What NNTP failing in particular are we discussing, anyways?  NNTP throughput
rates due to turnaround times?  Bandwidth requirements to send complete
uncompressed text chunks?  I am not yet aware of any inherent limits to the
technology.  Sure, those of us running major backbone sites are using things
such as parallel nntplink processes to help circumvent problems inherent
when you're trying to push gigabytes of news daily, but I don't see this as
a deficiency in the protocol per se.

What I _would_ like to see is a new generation of threaded news tools -
perhaps (most ideally) rolling the functionality of nntplink into INN, and
providing a mechanism that allows INN to open several concurrent NNTP
connections to a peer, multiplexed such that it appears to INN as a single
feed.

Of course, this doesn't buy as much under FreeBSD as it would under Solaris.
That's not saying anything bad about FreeBSD, by the way, but I do believe
that there is something inherently threadable about news.

Providing NNTP extensions to do NNTP command stacking and/or simple
batch/compression on the fly (for slow links) would be the next step.

... Joe