Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 12:23:35 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softc with resource sharing

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 11:38:15AM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
| Thus spake j mckitrick (jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org):
|
| > Any devices using the ppbus will end up sharing the hardware port.  If i want
| > to access this resource info, should i store it in my local driver's softc
| > structure, or extract it from the parent device (ppbus)?
|
| What about bus_alloc_resource()?
| Or is ppbus special? (Not that I know of).

Well, all of the resources have already been allocated when the ppc device
has been attached.  The hardware port and interrupt have already been
reserved and stored in the softc data structure for ppc.  All devices
attached to ppc, like ppbus, are currently calling macros that call
hardcoded inb/outb calls in sys/isa/ppcreg.h.  I am trying to figure out if
i should rewrite the macros to use the correct bus_space calls, or store the
info lower down, with each device's softc where it is more accessible.  At
this point, all access to the parallel port IO registers is passed to the
ppc device, and i am wondering if this should change and be handled be each
device instead.

jcm
--
"I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates