Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 07:11:19 +0200
From:      Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <lars.koeller@uni-bielefeld.de>
To:        Ben Bangert <ben@knowledgetap.com>
Cc:        lars.koeller@uni-bielefeld.de
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: bacula-1.32f5 updating destroys prior bacula conf files

----------

Hi!

=20
> Ummmmm
>=20
> I ran portupgrade the other day on bacula. Christ was that a mistak=
e. I=20
> had the absurd idea that as portupgrade has always done with every =
port=20
> thus upgraded, it would save a copy of the conf files for the port.=
=20
> Prolly to .old or something.
>=20
> Hah! No, instead it completely obliterated my configuration files.=
=20
> Who's bright idea was that? Lucky I had all my conf files backed up=
...=20
> to a bacula volume... so now I need to reconfigure bacula enough to=
=20
> gain access to the volume to restore my config files.
>=20
> The most braindead part of the whole thing, is that there was=20
> absolutely no reason to completely destroy the old bacula config fi=
les,=20
> since the port didn't install any .conf files, only .sample files.
>=20
> At least I haven't lost anything other than my faith in FreeBSD=
=20
> ports....

There is a problem in the portssystem and portupdate to handle conf=
=20
files with a different MD5 sum correctly.

I miss to bypass this in the port of bacula up to 1.32f5. No a=20
workaround is implemented.

The problem only occur with portupdrade, not make deinstall and=20
pkg_delete! The last one are my way to upgrade such an complex thing=
=20
like bacula, which holds all by important data .....

But I think after this nice email of you it's time to give the=20
maintainership over to you to make it much better. Can you imagine ho=
w=20
much work it is to stay with current versions of bacula and test the=
=20
various possible configurations basically?

Thanks for your motivating words ...

Lars

--=20
 Lars K=F6ller      \   Raum   : V0-318 (Tel: 4964)
  Leitung Systeme  \  E-Mail : Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE
  und Serverdienste \ PGP-Key: http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.h=
tml
----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.de.freebsd.org ------=