Date:      Sun, 01 Nov 1998 20:31:24 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Some curiosity about syscons

[...]
>Rather than back up and start over with a different approach, I added
>a tiny ioctl to syscons to call scrn_update().  With that and some
>fudging, I actually have the damned thing working.

Um, scrn_update() can be called on certain conditions.  See scrn_timer()
for correct timing.

All in all, it is very difficult to guarantee that the screen is
update at precisely 60Hz.

>If anyone is still following this, and particularly if you Know From
>Experience, perhaps you can comment on some of these architectural
>issues.  I need a 60Hz vertical refresh rate, and I need to be able to
>display 18 lines of text every frame.  This needs to happen during the
>vertical retrace interval, as a single glitched frame will cause a
>failure.  Ideally I would like the cursor not to be present, but it
>isn't actually a problem if I can make sure it is always at the top or
>bottom of the screen.

You have to poll a CRTC status port for vertical retrace period.

As Mike has already suggested, it is probably best to do this sort of
things as a screen saver LKM.  The screen saver can do whatever
it wants (just like DOS programs... :-)

The tricky thing is that syscons will instantly deactivate the
screen saver LKM as soon as a key is pressed (or mouse is moved).

Kazu