Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 06:38:22 -0800
From:      Gary Crutcher <gcrutchr@nightflight.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache httpd (and ncsa httpd passwd does not work)

Here is an example .htaccess and .htpasswd file that works for me with
apache v1.0 and FBSD 2.1 and Solaris 2.5 (SPARC-based). My private dir is
/dthome/offsite/public_html.
I have changed usernames and passwords for security reasons, but this is a
working example.

*****.htaccess file*****

AuthUserFile /dthome/offsite/public_html/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName password authentication to My Private Directory
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
   require fred
</Limit>

******.htpasswd******

fred:EfcekbkmbHjYw

Hope this helps.

Gary

At 11:22 PM 1/16/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Seppo Kallio wrote in message ID
><Pine.BSF.3.91.960117090651.2596C-100000@beeblebrox.pccc.jyu.fi>:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Albert Hayden wrote:
>> > I've upgraded my system to 2.1 and have installed the apache package.
>> > The password protection files don't work.  It recognizes them, but then
>> > fails while checking the .htpasswd file.  It doesn't return a
>> > misconfiguration error, so I'm unsure what's going on.
>
>> I have same problem with NCSA httpd.
>
>Sudden thought. Perhaps it doesn't like the 60-odd character MD5
>passwords that are used by default in FreeBSD unless you install the
>DES package? I know that at least xlock had problems with MD5
>passwords...
>
>Gary

Gary Crutcher		E-mail:  gcrutchr@nightflight.com
Webmaster		   URL:  http://www.nightflight.com