Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:47:48 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <mike@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to mirror the FreeBSD OS on two disks

On Wednesday 11 July 2012 16:20:41 Joseph Lenox wrote:
> What about a ZFS root? Just make sure both disks are in the BIOS/EFT
> boot order.
> http://www.aisecure.net/2011/11/28/root-zfs-freebsd9/
>
> Something else we noticed on our site is that backup of a system
> snapshot can be quickly restored using just a live CD (do up to step 5,
> then replace steps 6-7 with a zfs receive of the desired snapshot).

Since the system is to be restored from the snapshot then I suppose most of
steps 8 to 12 wouldn't be needed either. But what about step 5 before the
restore:

zpool export zroot
zpool import -o cachefile=/var/tmp/zpool.cache zroot

And then step 10 after running zfs receive

cp /var/tmp/zpool.cache /mnt/boot/zfs/zpool.cache

Are these steps needed when restoring from a snapshot?

--
Mike Clarke