Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 2009 21:48:48 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade not handling dependencies

Prokofyev Vladislav wrote:

snip]
>> As seen above, libtheora built and installed just fine, but ffmpeg was
>> skipped for some reason.  I ran portupgrade -a again and all worked
>> fine.  This ways also occuring when I ran portupgrade -arR.
>>
>> Ports tree is updated with cvsup each night.  I don't believe I've
>> overridden anything, most especially not in the past 2 weeks when this
>> all started happening.  The above is just one example of it happening.
>> It happens almost everyday there is more than one port to upgrade(and
>> different ports each time of course).
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Eric
>>
> Try to run portsdb -F everytime after cvsup is done. I might be wrong, but
> it
> works for me without any problems.

What I do is this:

csup -L 2 && portsdb -uF && pkgdb -u && portversion

And take a peek to see what needs upgrading. Then I just do portupgrade -a
and generally most of the time it does OK. I have noticed that it seems to
be smoother with less hiccups when run more often so as to only need to
update a few at a time rather than waiting until a whole lot of stuff needs
updating. The reason I do it in the sequence I do is I believe this way the
package database and the INDEX stay in sync.

I have noticed some odd behaviors in the last 3 months, or so. So far no
catastrophe. But I have seen portupgrade something and then a subsequent run
shows this port as being 'newer' than the version it's supposed to be. I've
also noticed a few times it seemed like it was upgrading the same version(s)
over again. I just chalked this up to the ports system being in a state of
flux and it hasn't actually led to any problems so I've just ignored it.

-Mike