Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:57:11 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wine/i386 for FreeBSD/amd64 port (aka wine-fbsd64)

On 29 Dec 2012 2:03 AM, "Gerald Pfeifer" <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, David Naylor wrote:
> > # Executive Summary
> >
> > Over the past years I have been maintaining the wine-fbsd64 port (see
> > http://mediafire.com/wine_fbsd64 for more).  The port itself effectively
> > does static linking (it bundles all the libraries wine needs) with
> > scripts to bootstrap the environment to easily use wine from
> > FreeBSD/amd64.  There is also a script to install the i386 nVidia
> > graphic drivers so that wine has access to nVidia accelerated graphics
> > from FreeBSD/amd64.
> >
> > I would like to propose this port gets included in the port's collection
> > and would like to get feedback, your comments please :-).
>
> I would say, go ahead and send-pr the port (without the nVidia parts
> for now).
>
> If nobody else bites within two weeks of you sending it, share the number
> with me, and I'll give it a try.  I am sure that, once in, there will be
> many aspects we'll get feedback on and further tweaks and improvements,
> but it seems this is relatively widely used and useful, so let's make
> it port of the ports collection and jointly take it from there.

Thanks, I shall do when I get back from holidays. Might have a surprise up
my sleeve :-)

> >  - Can only be compiled in an i386 environment, but the resulting
package is
> > *intended* for amd64 (although works fine in an i386 environment)
> >  - If, somehow, there is a recursive calling of wine programs then
> > LD_(32_)LIBRARY_PATH and PATH will continue to grow with every
iteration.
> >  - The pkgng ports cannot be installed in an i386 environment as they
are
> > labelled for amd64.
>
> My primary question at this point, and to this group, is how to
> actually name such a port?
>
> It probably makes sense to focus on wine-devel, initially, but
> given that it's really the 32-bit version that is intended for
> the 64-bit OS, how to best reflect that?
>
> wine-devel-fbsd64 as per the current name?  wine-devel-32on64?...??

I think there is precedent for the naming. Consider Linux ports, those
ports take the prefix "linux-" to indicate the architecture so I propose
"i386-wine-devel" to indicate a port that has binaries from the i386
architecture.

Regards,