Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:35:56 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        "Matt Lazarou" <optical_longhaul@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CLR for FreeBSD 4.4-stable and a C# Compiler.

> I picked up a book on C# Programming.  C# is a langauge derived from C and
> C++, but it was created from the ground up.  However, you don't need a C#
> editor to write the programs in.  I used emacs and edit to write a simple
> program, but i can not compile the program.  C# programs are created to run
> on Common Langauge Runtime (CLR).    I was wondering if FreeBSD had a
> compatiable CLR runtime so i could execute the program. I did a query for it
> on google and got some results but most of the information wasn't to clear
> MS has released a CLR for FreeBSD yet to execute C# programs.

I don't know much about this stuff but I think you might find something that
will help you at :

http://www.southern-storm.com.au/portable_net.html

As I understand it they're working up an open-source version of parts of the
whole .NET extravaganza (including a C# compiler). It's actually aimed at Linux
but in all likelihood it will run under FreeBSD.

There's also some interesting stuff about open-sourcing .NET at :

http://www.oreillynet.com/dotnet/

One of the interesting points they make is the way that Samba has taken
something M$ were trying to make their own and crowbarred it open - their
suggestion is that something similar could be done with .NET.

Anyway I hope that's of some help, I'd be intersted to hear how you get on.

regards

richard shea.

> Another problem i'm having is compiling C# Source Code.  IE the extensionsto
> create the IL file you have to use the .cs naming convention so i named my
> file ie: hello.cs
>
> When i open a terminal to compile the source file called hello.cs i type:
>
> csc hello.cs to compile and i get the message command not found.  Could i
> use a graphical development tool to maybe compile a C# Program? or is there
> another command that i should execute to compile the C# source code.  I know
> that the command csc should be executed in a command line.
>
> Has anyone else tryed C# Programming on freebsd if so any help would be
> greatly apperciated.

The Cuba Group
PO Box 1864
Wellington