Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Richard Lynch" <ceo@l-i-e.com>
To:        "Ryan Sommers" <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@lists.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail from a shell script?

Ryan Sommers wrote:
> First problem I ran into. I'm attempting to send the mail via `which
> mail`. I first was going to attempt to concatenate the message via
> "message=${message}$'\n'<other line>" However, this strips the newlines
> out of the variable (both sh and bash). I then tried using the <<string
> redirection in bash/sh and same thing happened.

Things I would try:

Use \\n so that the first pass "eats up" \\ to product \ and then you have
\n where you want it.

Paste in a literal new-line (control-v/control-m in vi) so that you don't
have to rely on \n to work.

Also, in "man 5 crontab" there is reference to using %% or somesuch for
newlines in mail.  I'm not sure if that's a cron thing or a mail thing,
but it may be useful.

Dislaimer:  All of this comes from Linux/PHP experience, and not so much
FreeBSD.  YMMV.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm