Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:56:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: malloc backed md/mfs filesystem swapped?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Andrew J Caines wrote:

> After Ring the various FMs including, but not limited to, mdmfs(8),
> mdconfig(8) malloc(9), I am unclear whether of not the memory used by md
> of type MD_MALLOC is kernel memory which will not be swapped, or not.
>
> On the same subject, does the the MD_SWAP backed device simply use
> swapable userland VM or does it specifically use a piece of the
> (presumably) disk backed swap partition?
>
> FYI, the relevant fstab entries for a malloc backed disk having a UFS2
> with softupdates and async would look like:

Malloc-backed md devices will be backed by unpageable kernel address
space, and doing this with anything but a very small virtual disk will
result in a kernel panic once the pages are allocated and the rest of the
kernel runs out of address space and memory.  Swap-backed md devices will
be backed by pageable memory, but I'm not sure what the practical limits
(if any)  are for address space concerns.  In general, I use malloc-backed
disks only for diskless systems, and then, only in a sparing way.  If you
have swap available, you pretty much always want to use swap-backing for
memory disks -- if there's room in memory they will run as fast as
malloc-backed, but you don't have to be as worried about the "Oh shoot,
I'm out of room" case.  I use a pretty large swap-backed file system for
/tmp on almost all of my production systems, since swap is cheap, and most
of the time so is memory.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research