Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:46:44 +0100
From:      Greg Bedrossian <greg@gcsl.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Greg Bedrossian <greg@gcsl.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 Web Server problems.

Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Greg Bedrossian wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the new 2.2.2 version of free BSD - however, despite its
> > many improvements, this dummy here was unable to figure out why the Web
> > Server option in Networks was omitted. I have not been able to configure
> > Apache, like in the older version, where the installation script
> > prompted the user to configure the Web Server.
> >
> > Please help!!! This has hung me up in my bid to set  up an Internet
> > server serving Web.
>
> No problem -- go find the Apache package on the CD or FTP site, run
> 'pkg_add apache-###.tgz', hack the config files, reboot or start httpd,
> and you'll be up and running.

> Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo

Thank you! That much I have been able to do, apparaently. What I am
having trouble with is actually setting up a site. You say "hack the
config files". Can you elaborate a bit? In the older versions it allowed
you to set up the Web Server through the install script just as it
prompts for NFS, FTP, etc. This procedure placed an index.html (welcome
page) in /usr/local/www/data directory, you know, the devil with the
pitchfork thing "Welcome etc, powered by FreeBSD!). How can I enter that
configuration screen. Port 80 is up and running so it seems I have a
server. Will it suffice to just put an HTML file in /usr/local/www/data?
Will it assume that it belongs to the default domain? So many things are
different with 2.2.2. Why cant I seem to link the "ports"? There seems
to be no links from the ports in /usr/ports/www to the CD ROM. All
directories are unlinked. I know I am new to all this but it seems I am
tempted to go back a version or two at this stage. I do like a lot of
the improvements in 2.2.2 particularly the ability to use IDE devices
readily.

kgb