Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:08:31 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 10:00:24AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 08:49:46PM +0400, Grigoriy Strokin wrote:
> > Accidentally, I've found out that /usr/sbin/bad144 in my fbsd 4.0
> > is dated by December, and there is no bad144 in /usr/src.
> > So, has it disappeared?
>
> Yes it has been removed.  Modern drives do it for you.  By the time you
> actually see bad blocks your disk is about to die.  IIRC, the code was
> suffering from bitrot and the drives that really needed it will (ESDI
> and MFM mostly) aren't supported in 5.0.
>
> > I have a HDD with bad blocks, how do I find all of them and mark them?
> > I've done newfs, then fsck, fsck reports
> >   CANNOT READ: BLK 1114288 CONTINUE? [yn]
> > several times. Apparently, fsck won't mark the blocks it can't read as bad,
> > and therefore some data will be written there and then lost.
> > Am I missing something? How could I achieve functionality
> > that earlier was provided by bad144?
>
> Most likely the disk is dead.  If it is even remotly modern it has lost
> so many blocks that it has run out of spares and thus is ready to toss.
>
> -- Brooks

OK, thanks, I'll trow it away then :).

However, I had similar problems with another HDD under 3.4, it was Quantum
Fireball and it was 'dying' for more than one year. Each time I saw
'hard read/write error' on the console, I ran bad144 -s and
the functionality became fine for several months, then I saw
the error messages again and so on.

--
=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===