Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 11:56:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@else.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Missing File in sys/i386/include/conf.h ?

On Mon, 25 Dec 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> > 	I believe, but am not 100% positive, that ioconf.h is
> > generated by config, and is based on what devices you have defined
> > in your config file.
>
> You are right, but your advise (re-sup usr/src/sys) was wrong.
>
> config(8) is closely related to the kernel source, so whenever you see
> a problem like this, it's 99 % likely that you need a new _config_.
>
> Re-sup usr/src/usr.sbin/config, rebuild and reinstall it, and re-
> config your kernel.  Events that make a new config necessary are
> normally being announced to freebsd-current, that's why you should
> follow this list.  (Of course, if you are new to -current, you could
> not have seen it.)

This is exactly right - I wanted to find out if the changes to -current
would allow me to run BSD/OS 2.0 binaries, and so just built the kernel
sources rather than all the utilities.  I've since been tied up trying to
get all the utilities to compile, but I imagine that the new config would
solve this.

Several others have experienced this problem as well, and I imagine that
the root of their problem is the same.

(And for the record, this is the first time I've tried to build
-current.  I've learned my lesson...)

j.