Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:34:25 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Bob Udderwein <budd@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

-On [19991220 23:00], Bob Udderwein (budd@netcom.com) wrote:
>We are debating moving to 3.3 or 3.4 of FreeBSD, or
>abandoning FreeBSD in favor of Redhat Linux, version
>6.1.

*shudder*

Of all Linuxes they want to use Red Hat?

>I'm fighting against Linux and need some information
>about FreeBSD that I couldn't find at freebsd.org
>or elsewhere on the Net:
>
>What version of BIND is in the 3.3 and 3.4 versions?

3.3 has 8.1.2, 3.4 has 8.2.2-p5.  CURRENT (4.0) has 8.2.2-p5 at the
moment.

>What version of Kerberos is supported?

4 and 5 if memory serves me right.

>Any real time O/S extensions?

I think there were.  Check the mailinglist archives.

>FreeBSD run on any hardware besides x86?

Alpha.  Sparc, PowerPC and some others in design phases.

>Any *facts* on which is more stable?

FreeBSD.  Definately.  Even the Linuxheads at work here agree.

>Any *facts* on which is better for TCP/IP?

I prefer BSD since it was the OS on which it was developed.

>Do we have to share with the world the source
>code for our application software, or device
>drivers?  Same or different with Linux?

No.  That's the beauty of the BSDL (BSD License) although we would
appreciate it if you could donate some modifications back since we are
not selfish about letting you or your company use over 30 years of
tradition (of Unix) and about 8 or so for BSD/FreeBSD.

>Anyone know about network management software
>called Dorado?  Seems to interface proprietary
>systems to SNMP.  They support FreeBSD?

Doesn't ring a bell.  For FreeBSD 3.x you can use ucd-snmp in
/usr/ports.

>If you answer any of these questions, would you
>please indicate the source of your information.

Me, myself and I.  Plus some guys at work.  The mailinglists and other
weirdo's out there.

>I can't go to Marketing and Engineering and just
>say, I got the info from the FreeBSD mailing list-
>I'll need more credibility than that (no offense:)

Ah ok.

Well, I work as one of the senior Unix guys here for a national ISP,
which is part of a worldwide network company.

Don't get me wrong, Linux is fun, but not for the work we/I do.

HTH,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /