Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:18:07 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        graeme@echidna.com, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd doesn't always die with broken connections

In the last episode (Dec 07), Graeme Tait said:
> I have a couple of FreeBSD servers (2.2.6R and 2.2.7S) to/from which
> large files are often transferred by users with dial-up ISP access.
> Inevitably the connections fail occasionally in mid-transfer.
>
> Most of the time the ftpd daemon goes away gracefully in a few
> minutes. But sometimes it hangs around much longer, or indefinitely:
>
> From ps aux | grep ftpd (done today):
>
>  3940  0.0  0.1   292  184  ??  Is   16Nov98    0:01.82 ftpd: ip219.tu
> 10051  0.0  0.1   292  184  ??  Is   16Nov98    0:00.05 ftpd: ip-50-10
>
> Running netstat shows connections ESTABLISHED on local ports 20 and
> 21 for the above two remote hosts.

.. which means that the transfer to/from the other machine has stopped.
Judging by the partial hostnames, I'd guess that the other end was a
dialup connection that lost its connection during an upload.  ftpd is
simply waiting in a read() call for data that will never come.  The
process isn't dying because the idle timeout only applies at the ftp
prompt, not when transferring data.

Try turning keepalives on.  That should drop the connection four hours
after the client disappears.

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com