Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 02:58:36 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD chpass (fwd)

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 02:27:58AM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> In securelevel >= 2, you can't open a disk for writing unless you're
> mount(2).  I don't know much about null mounts, so I don't know if
> that will prevent them from working.

mounting is still allowed at all securelevels, so you could also null
mount over the top of /usr/bin even if /usr/bin is schg. The fact that
you can mount volumes at high securelevel seems to mean there is no
way you can protect a running system against tampering with a given
file (i.e. replacing the runtime-visible instance of a given file).

Robert Watson would probably start talking about MAC about now :-) but
I'm not sure if this is something which should be fixed as a security
problem, or if it is just not practical to expect securelevels to
prevent run-time tampering of a given file (leaving aside the issues
of protecting the boot path against taking control of the machine at
next reboot time, which only happens as a result of incomplete
coverage of the relevant files and directories with schg)

Kris