Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:03:13 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP - master/slave ports

On 17 Jun 2004 at 15:04, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> > >     and I'm not sure that's any better than what you had originally.
> >
> > Why do you think that?
>
>     Because I don't know whether two /bin/realpath calls are cheaper
>     than one /usr/bin/sed.
>
> > >     But, what will both versions output in databases/mysql40-client?
> >
> > Both output the same thing:
>
>     Ah, sure, ${MASTERDIR} was passed through realpath in both versions.
>
>     So, remaining differences are perhaps speed, readability, and more
>     than one level of categories. The first hasn't been measured, the
>     second is a subjective thing, and the last is ATM a purely
>     theoretical concern.

FWIW, I created a script which invoked the command 15,000 times.

The original patch:

real    15m54.561s
user    10m40.866s
sys     5m1.405s

The patch derived in this thread:

real    15m48.481s
user    10m39.745s
sys     4m54.753s

Confession: Yes, this isn't a very subjective test, but it's a place
to start from if someone is concerned about the performance issues
herein.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/