Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 18:53:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Junior network hacker tasks...

<<On Mon, 6 May 2002 17:26:20 -0500 (CDT), Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> said:

> Is doing this wise?  I have this nagging feeling that randomizing (or
> zeroing on each new connection) the timestamp would degrade its usefulness
> for PAWS checks and the like.  (Don't ask me how, I haven't thought it
> through fully.)

I don't think so, because the timestamps, as currently specified, are
only meaningful within the context of a single connection.  See
sections 1.2, 4.3, and 4.2 of RFC 1323.  The PAWS mechanism requires
only that timestamps used by each connection be monotone increasing
with respect to Sequence Number Arithmetic.  RFC 1323 does require
(section 4.2.2) that the clock be between 1 ms and 1 s in period,
which I think we already violate on some platforms, although not
seriously; there probably should be a pre-computed (global) scaling
factor as well.

-GAWollman