Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 11:20:29 -0800
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   screen vs X11

I believe that in 1.1.5, using X11R6, I could access the virtual
screens with alt-F1...F6, corresponding to ttvy0 thru ttyv5.
ttyv6 was "off: and ttyv7 was an xterm.  From within X11, I could
press alt-Fx and access that virtual screen.  Pressing alt-F7
returned me to X11.

Now, with 2.1.5, I cannot access the virtual consoles from within
X11.  I believe the setup is the same as before.  If I do not start
xdm, I can access the virtual consoles.  But, pressing alt-F1 thru F3
produces nothing.  Pressing alt-F4 thru alt-F6 produces a beep and.
prints a 4~ thru 7~ on the screen.  I note that 6~ is skipped, as
ttyv6 is "off", so, alt-F6 produces 7~ and alt-F7 produces 8~.

Is this possible in 2.1.5 or, more likely, What am I missing?