Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:22:30 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   user account gone awry

I just upgraded my system from 3.4 to 4.0 with cvsup/make world.
Everything went beautifully, until a few minutes ago, when I logged into
my machine as a user, and it allowed me to log in, but my bash prompt
was  the default prompt, not my own configured one.  I realized then
that I was in the / directory, not my home directory.  When I tried to
get to my home directory, I got "Permission Denied".
I really don't know if this problem has anything to do with my upgrade,
after all, I logged in fine several times before.
I finally decided to back up my home directory, then rmuser.  Then I did
adduser.  I got the same result when I logged in again.  Does anyone
know what's going on here?  I realize this is not a lot of information,
but if you can direct me, I'll gladly supply more.  Thank you, Joseph.