Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:36:00 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   High-resolution displays

I want to set up a laptop running FreeBSD to use when I'm working out
of town.  My main use for it will probably be to connect to my office
network using PPP and access my e-mail.  I want to run X11 on it, and
I'd like to have 1024x768 or better resolution (ideally), or at least
800x600.  I need it to have an ethernet interface too, for when I'm
at home.  I don't care about CD-ROM drives or any sort of multimedia.
(If the rest of my life went by without another computer blinking or
beeping at me, I'd be a happy guy.)  Battery life isn't too important
since I envision using the machine from a hotel room most of the time.
Price is less important to me than getting the features I want.

I searched through the mailing list archives, but found very few
reports of 1024x768 success.  I'd appreciate some recommendations for
machines that will work well at that resolution, if there are any.
Also, is the hi-res laptop support generally better in the Xaccel
server than in XFree86?

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

John