Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:05:45 -0600
From:      philw@webmaster.com (Phillip White)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ps: bad namelist

Okay - I have looked all over for an answer to this issue.

I recently installed 3.1-release off CD's.  Everything was fine - running perfect.  Than one day for no reason at all - no new kernel - no odd shutdowns - `ps' all of a sudden outputs "ps: bad namelist".

So I proceeded to cvsup the 4.0-current src tree and after reading the UPDATING in /usr/src I made the world _twice_ and than built a new kernel in hops that the ps problem would go away.

Now not only is `ps' _still_ broken - but now it seems that a traditional shutdown now corrupts the wtmp/utmp producing odd things when doing  `uptime'.

This is _not_ the only box this has happened to suddenly!

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any help in this matter.

Phillip